A few of the preventative services we offer include:Preventive dentistry is an essential first step toward achieving and maintaining a beautiful smile. At Sunny Days Dental, our dentist and team are here to provide you with the preventive dentistry services and information you need for healthy teeth and gums. Not only will you receive exceptional care while at our dental office, but you’ll also return home knowing exactly how to keep your smile bright and beautiful for life.
- Semi or bi-annual dental hygiene visits
- Bi-annual exams aka 'check-ups'
- Sealants and direct Fluoride application
- Occlusal guards, including athletic mouthguards
The Importance of Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dentistry focuses on keeping the teeth and gums healthy by avoiding dental disease. When you visit your dentist for a cleaning and exam, you are also actively working to prevent or address issues such as cavities, gum disease, and tooth wear.
- Preventive dentistry exams allow your dentist to inspect your teeth, gums, and tongue. During this exam, she will look for signs of developing issues. Most dental conditions do not cause pain in their earliest stages— by the time you feel pain, damage has already occurred. Regular exams allow your dentist to take steps to halt these conditions in their early stages or provide you with the information you need to prevent them if you are at risk.
- Because the permanent teeth continue to develop during childhood, preventive dentistry allows your dentist to take steps to ensure your child’s final smile will be healthy for a lifetime. Caring for your child’s baby teeth will not only set the stage for positive dental habits later in life, but also treat any developing conditions before they can affect the quality of the permanent teeth. In many cases, you and your dentist can also plan for future dental treatments, such as clear braces, if X-rays indicate they may be needed.
What to Expect from a Dental Hygiene Visit
Dental hygiene visits are important for several reasons. Only professional dental tools can remove tartar, making regular dental visits an important part of caring for your teeth. Your visit is also a great time to discuss your daily oral care habits at home with your dentist.
- Your dental hygiene visit begins with a professional cleaning to remove both plaque and tartar from the teeth, which are the main causes of cavities and gum disease.
- Your dentist will show you how to brush and floss properly, as well as recommend the right products and habits for your needs.
- You may also receive additional treatments, such as a fluoride varnish, to strengthen your teeth and provide added protection against cavities and wear.